Vgate Forums
vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - Printable Version

+- Vgate Forums (https://forum.vgatemall.com)
+-- Forum: Vgate OBD (https://forum.vgatemall.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: vLinker Series (https://forum.vgatemall.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Forum: Vgate vLinker MC/MC +/MC WiFi (https://forum.vgatemall.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Thread: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions (/showthread.php?tid=6574)

vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - HiluxKUN26 - 05-22-2024

Hey there!

I've just installed a vLinker MC+ on a Toyota Hilux KUN26 04/2015 with a 1KD-FTV engine. OBDII reading software is Car Scanner ELM OBD2 pro, I've paid for an upgrade. Read via iPhone. Connection works fine, but I can only read a very limited amount of data, not more than with a cheap OBD2-dongle.
vLinker is updated via vGateFwUpdate Tool to version 2.2.90. In the tool / app seems to be the possibility to update for a function extension, but the update doesn't work at all. The process stops after about a third with a red status bar.
So what to do to get it fixed? I would like to access the coding and servicing otions for this car and read more datas from the engine. That's why I have bought this dongle...
So what to do?

Kind regards!

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - admin - 05-23-2024

(05-22-2024, 03:59 PM)HiluxKUN26 Wrote: Hey there!

I've just installed a vLinker MC+ on a Toyota Hilux KUN26 04/2015 with a 1KD-FTV engine. OBDII reading software is Car Scanner ELM OBD2 pro, I've paid for an upgrade. Read via iPhone. Connection works fine, but I can only read a very limited amount of data, not more than with a cheap OBD2-dongle.
vLinker is updated via vGateFwUpdate Tool to version 2.2.90. In the tool / app seems to be the possibility to update for a function extension, but the update doesn't work at all. The process stops after about a third with a red status bar.
So what to do to get it fixed? I would like to access the coding and servicing otions for this car and read more datas from the engine. That's why I have bought this dongle...
So what to do?

Kind regards!

Hello
When you are in the process of updating the update fails, the product will not be able to connect, at this time if you are an Android phone, please do not remove the paired Bluetooth
Unplug the product from the car and plug it back into the car, scan the update QR code on the product box to update it again
The product will be back to normal after the update is completed

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - HiluxKUN26 - 05-23-2024

(05-23-2024, 01:25 AM)admin Wrote:  
Unplug the product from the car and plug it back into the car, scan the update QR code on the product box to update it again
The product will be back to normal after the update is completed

Hello,

tried that, didn't help.
When I choose BLE in the upper window and BLE+BT in the lower window, then the update stops with the red bar:

When I choose Bluetooth in the upper window and BLE+BT in the lower window, then the update stops with a green bar, but nothing happens. Whenever I touch a button, it says "Device Running..." but nothing happens:

I use iPhone with iOs 16.7.8

What next?

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - linkman - 07-21-2024

Hi everybody,
I'm new here and I hope it is OK if I add my question: Is there a solution for this problem on hand already?
I have got almost the same issue, only in my case it's related to an Android14 mobile phone. I bought me a vLinker MC+ BLE+BT and tried to update it. The firmware update was successful (after quite a lot of restarts),, it's "vLinker MC v2.2.90(MIC3313 V2.0.90)" now. The device was always recognized, self detect or QR code. But the update of the "Function extensions" always got stuck showing just a small bar, green coloured at first, turning to red at the end, which sometimes was at a few percent only, but more frequently at about 20% of total. Never more than that. I tried out many different ways, including unplugging and re-connecting (staying paired - as described here in this thread), but regardless, there was no way to proceed further. Interestingly it was also possible to start the update process after removal of the plug from the socket - same result like before, 20%
Huh
So I assume that the bar - up to this point - just mirrors the download progress of data from the WWW. I also tried to update it via a Win11 -Computer, bur the Windows version of the VgateFwUpdater App has not even such option included. 
For me, all this looks like this part of the updater app doesn't work together with this specific type of vLinker.

BTW: Connecting my vLinker via BT or via BLE 4.0 to the app "Car Scanner ELM OBDII" works fine, so I wouldn't  tend to assume a BT connection issue nor a hardware problem.

Any suggestion, what I still could try?
Thanks in advance.

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - admin - 07-22-2024

(07-21-2024, 03:20 AM)linkman Wrote: Hi everybody,
I'm new here and I hope it is OK if I add my question: Is there a solution for this problem on hand already?
I have got almost the same issue, only in my case it's related to an Android14 mobile phone. I bought me a vLinker MC+ BLE+BT and tried to update it. The firmware update was successful (after quite a lot of restarts),, it's "vLinker MC v2.2.90(MIC3313 V2.0.90)" now. The device was always recognized, self detect or QR code. But the update of the "Function extensions" always got stuck showing just a small bar, green coloured at first, turning to red at the end, which sometimes was at a few percent only, but more frequently at about 20% of total. Never more than that. I tried out many different ways, including unplugging and re-connecting (staying paired - as described here in this thread), but regardless, there was no way to proceed further. Interestingly it was also possible to start the update process after removal of the plug from the socket - same result like before, 20%
Huh
So I assume that the bar - up to this point - just mirrors the download progress of data from the WWW. I also tried to update it via a Win11 -Computer, bur the Windows version of the VgateFwUpdater App has not even such option included. 
For me, all this looks like this part of the updater app doesn't work together with this specific type of vLinker.

BTW: Connecting my vLinker via BT or via BLE 4.0 to the app "Car Scanner ELM OBDII" works fine, so I wouldn't  tend to assume a BT connection issue nor a hardware problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

The extension is for vLinker FS BT/MS BT/iCar Pro, other devices can't support the extension,
so you will fail to update every time you update, but the failed update won't affect your normal connection!

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - linkman - 07-22-2024

(07-22-2024, 01:59 AM)admin Wrote:
Huh

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

The extension is for vLinker FS BT/MS BT/iCar Pro, other devices can't support the extension,
so you will fail to update every time you update, but the failed update won't affect your normal connection!

Hello and thanks a lot for this information!
So my MC+ itself isn't defecive.  Idea Smile 
It would have been great, if Vgate had written this in the manual.
Even though the MC+ isn't mentioned distinctly within the list of devices in the manual, there is an "etc." shown, which appears to relate to further devices. And this "etc." looks comparable to the one, which is also written in the manual, in the paragraph showing the list of apps being supported. It is self-evident for IT-skilled people, that not only some, but potentially each and every further app can be supported, as long as the programmer keeps to the right coding rules. 

With a delicate (firmware related!) app like the VgateFwUpdater it is my unconditional awaiting, that the app would at least show me a popup saying that my device isn't supported - or even better, the updater sholdn't show this update button and description at all. As a customer, I just follow the QR code and the subsequent instructions and I cannot start just to 'assume' or to 'guess' things. 

As there is - as you mention it - no functional update available for this device, what is the meaning then of the prominent red coloured stamp on product's box saying "Upgrade"?  Huh

Vgate is known to provide highly recommended products today, but so to see, the communication / information towards customers can still be improved quit a bit. I also read the thread about the possible confusion between firmware number and the very similar looking chip ID number, which both can hardly be differentiated by customers and therfore leads to insecurity. BTW: What can be the need to updat ae chip identification number, when the hardware cannot be modified by apps anyway? Confusing...

All these issues can easily and fully be avoided, if the manufacturer just cares a little more about it at the beginning. And it would even raise his profit, seen the reduction of service requests and product returns. I cannot understand, why a prestigious manufacturer like Vgate can be so inattentive on such things.
Much space for improvement - maybe you can motivate him a little.

BR

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - admin - 07-23-2024

(07-22-2024, 01:10 PM)linkman Wrote:
Huh

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Even though the MC+ isn't mentioned distinctly within the list of devices in the manual, there is an "etc." shown, which appears to relate to further devices. And this "etc." looks comparable to the one, which is also written in the manual, in the paragraph showing the list of apps being supported. It is self-evident for IT-skilled people, that not only some, but potentially each and every further app can be supported, as long as the programmer keeps to the right coding rules. 

With a delicate (firmware related!) app like the VgateFwUpdater it is my unconditional awaiting, that the app would at least show me a popup saying that my device isn't supported - or even better, the updater sholdn't show this update button and description at all. As a customer, I just follow the QR code and the subsequent instructions and I cannot start just to 'assume' or to 'guess' things. 

As there is - as you mention it - no functional update available for this device, what is the meaning then of the prominent red coloured stamp on product's box saying "Upgrade"?  Huh

Vgate is known to provide highly recommended products today, but so to see, the communication / information towards customers can still be improved quit a bit. I also read the thread about the possible confusion between firmware number and the very similar looking chip ID number, which both can hardly be differentiated by customers and therfore leads to insecurity. BTW: What can be the need to updat ae chip identification number, when the hardware cannot be modified by apps anyway? Confusing...

All these issues can easily and fully be avoided, if the manufacturer just cares a little more about it at the beginning. And it would even raise his profit, seen the reduction of service requests and product returns. I cannot understand, why a prestigious manufacturer like Vgate can be so inattentive on such things.

BR

Hello.

Thank you very much for your feedback on the issues

1. vLinker MC+ can use VgateFwUpdater to update the firmware, you can click ‘Auto connect’, the app will automatically detect the device and load the latest version, or click ‘Scan’, scan the QR code to update, click ‘Download’ after detection.

2. In the lower part of VgateFwUpdater, there is an extension function, which is used for vLinker FS BT/MS BT and iCar Pro, because some apps can only use BLE connection, but not through MFI connection, so an extension function is added.

3. The extension function can modify the connection mode of MFI device to ‘BT+BLE’, there is a note in the extension function: the extension function can only be applied to vLinker FS, iCar Pro 2S, vLinker MS, because the user needs the sub-function we added, but the hardware of the product we produced before can not support the modification, if we modify the chip we need to be replaced, we will need to change the chip, so we will add the extension function. If we modify it, we need to replace the chip and spend a lot of time to finish it.

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - linkman - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 06:16 AM)admin Wrote:
Huh

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

BR

Hello.

1. vLinker MC+ can use VgateFwUpdater to update the firmware, you can click ‘Auto connect’, the app will automatically detect the device and load the latest version, or click ‘Scan’, scan the QR code to update, click ‘Download’ after detection.

2. In the lower part of VgateFwUpdater, there is an extension function, which is used for vLinker FS BT/MS BT and iCar Pro, because some apps can only use BLE connection, but not through MFI connection, so an extension function is added.

3. The extension function can modify the connection mode of MFI device to ‘BT+BLE’, there is a note in the extension function: the extension function can only be applied to vLinker FS, iCar Pro 2S, vLinker MS, because the user needs the sub-function we added, but the hardware of the product we produced before can not support the modification, if we modify the chip we need to be replaced, we will need to change the chip, so we will add the extension function. If we modify it, we need to replace the chip and spend a lot of time to finish it.
Thanks for the additional explanation. 
Re 1.: I was able to succeed before already (I think I mentioned that). Only it took several times of re-starting the update, but OK, the final result counts.
Re 2.+3.: Well noted, but the explanation inside the app is not clear enough and leaves too much space for (mis)interpretation. Here my proposal, how you could easily improve it (or even better just blind it out completely for all unsupported devices).
BR    

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - admin - 07-24-2024

(07-23-2024, 10:47 AM)linkman Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 06:16 AM)admin Wrote:
Huh

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

BR

Hello.

Thanks for the additional explanation. 
Re 1.: I was able to succeed before already (I think I mentioned that). Only it took several times of re-starting the update, but OK, the final result counts.
Re 2.+3.: Well noted, but the explanation inside the app is not clear enough and leaves too much space for (mis)interpretation. Here my proposal, how you could easily improve it (or even better just blind it out completely for all unsupported devices).
BR
I see what you mean, but what you say about blocking for unsupported devices is not possible for the moment
Because VgateFwUpdate supports updates for all Vagte devices, and some customers buy several products, all using the same mobile phone for updates.
We can only add a note in the extension function to support the device.
Thank you very much for your comments, we will also improve the VgateFwUpdater display later!

RE: vLinker MC+ can't update for function extensions - linkman - 08-11-2024

(07-24-2024, 03:42 AM)admin Wrote: I see what you mean, but what you say about blocking for unsupported devices is not possible for the moment
Because VgateFwUpdate supports updates for all Vagte devices, and some customers buy several products, all using the same mobile phone for updates.
We can only add a note in the extension function to support the device.
Thank you very much for your comments, we will also improve the VgateFwUpdater display later!
Hi once again.
Of course I did not mean to apply any restrichtions on the main FW update (upper part). However, to my assumption there should be no bigger problem to include a short model comparison routine in the program code of the downside part only, which could e.g. replace (lower) start button by a message. The devicename, which is needed for the coparison is on hand in the app anyway as soon as the connection is done.
Regards the people having several vLinker devices in use I guess nobody wolud try to update several of his devices in parallel at the same time [and I guess the app won't anyway be able to support such doing ;-) ].
But whatever you can fially offer, it should just assure that people are not waisting hours on trying out things which are not possible at all.
Thanks and have a nice day.
BR